Registration and Housing
We ask all participants, including invited speakers, to register prior to the workshop.
The registration fee is $150. This fee includes lunches and breaks during the conference, a reception on Wednesday, June 18 and a banquet dinner on Thursday, June 19. There is no registration fee for invited speakers.
The registration deadline is Tuesday, May 27, 2008.
- Register online: submit information about yourself, your participation in the workshop, housing check-in and check-out dates, and any request for possible financial support to attend. Note about financial support: There are limited funds available to support travel and
housing for junior participants. You can request support
during the on-line registration. Priority for awarding support is a) students, b) postdocs, c) junior faculty. Priority is also given to participants who present a poster.
- Pay the registration fee: submit your method of payment, and pay via credit card over the University's secure website.
- Optional: if you are bringing a guest to the workshop or meals, please complete the guest registration form.
Conference participants can stay in the Sherman Hall dormitory on campus from Tuesday, June 17 to Friday, June 20.
The cost is $39.45 plus 6% tax per night for a single sleeping room. (The total for three nights would be $125.45; 4 nights at $167.27.) Semi-private (shared) bathrooms are adjacent to each room. Participants share a bath with one or two other workshop participants.
Sherman Hall is located at 909 S. Fifth Street in Champaign, on the west side of campus. about a 10-minute walk to the workshop location. Sherman Hall consists of one high-rise building and one low-rise building joined by a common lobby. The beds are extra long twins. A micro-fridge (a small microwave and refrigerator combination) is provided in all Sherman Hall rooms. The rooms are air-conditioned and have Internet access. Phones are not provided in the residence hall rooms. There is an active jack in the room if you wish to use the phone for campus and local calls only. Voicemail service in the guest rooms is not provided and not available during the summer.
You can purchase a parking permit at the front desk of the residence hall at the time of check-in. Current parking permit rate is $10/day and $35/week. This rate is subject to change. Parking will be available in lots C6 and C16 which are located behind Sherman Hall on Daniels and Chalmers Streets.
When registering, please indicate whether or not you plan to stay in the housing, and we will email you additional information about it. The reservations for the dormitory are separate from the conference registration process.
If you are an invited speaker, please indicate when you plan to check in and check out in the "Comments" field. There is no housing charge for invited speakers.
In addition to the dormitories, workshop participants will be able to choose to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Champaign, a 5-minute drive from the workshop location. We have reserved 50 rooms under the group name "U of I - MRL," at a rate for $109/night (king bed or two doubles).
Hilton Garden Inn
1501 S. Neil Street
(217) 352-9970; fax (217) 398-5763
Parking on Campus
If you are staying in the dormitory: we recommend that you leave your car at the dorm and walk to the workshop location.
If you are staying in a hotel and wish to drive to campus: parking passes are $10 per day. Please see the Parking Department website for details and to purchase a pass.
You will receive a Welcome Packet (PDF, 4 pages) when you register. It includes:
- a detailed map showing workshop and housing location, the airport, and other points of interest on campus. Includes highway map.
- restaurant list of most choices within walking distance of the workshop location, with phone numbers and general descriptions.
- information about wireless access, and more.
- Breakfast: on your own.
Sherman Hall does not have a dining hall. The Illinois Street Residence (ISR) dining hall will be open during the Electronic structure workshop, and serves a full, hot breakfast. ISR is 2-3 buildings away from the workshop's location. You can purchase meal passes at the front desk of ISR the day they would like to eat. The housing office recommends that you only purchase meal passes the same day you would like to eat, because they do not refund meal passes for any reason.
- Lunches: provided each day
- Dinner: on your own Tuesday, Wednesday; banquet dinner on Friday
- Breaks: refreshments in the mornings and afternoons